Why I’m a Fan of Macronutrient BalancingJul 12, 2020
updated July 13, 2020
It all started in college as I was learning about nutrition and basic human physiology…
There are three – and only 3 – “macronutrients” that supply calories. And these three are each equally important for numerous biological functions.
Carbohydrates are important for supplying energy.
Protein is important for providing the building blocks to our body structures.
Fat is important for hormone production.
Your body needs all three every single day in order to function optimally.
Years later, I learned about this intriguing concept that if you restrict carbohydrates, your body will be forced to create fuel from fat. The Atkins Diet seemed so promising (and exciting – I’d get to eat bacon and cheese all day long, yes please!)
Quickly I learned the problems with low carb (now called “keto”): constipation, blood and body PH acidosis, insufficient fiber, limited fruits and vegetables, vitamin deficiencies, and so on.
And then the magic happened as I learned about the power of stabilized blood sugar. I must have been snoozing in college when we learned about this concept, and thankfully Barry Sears’ “The Zone” woke me up in my twenties. If you haven’t read his landmark book, please do so!
You see, the only sustainable way that you can stabilize your blood sugar is by eating a combination of carbohydrates, protein and fat each time you sit down to eat.
Once I got to experience how incredible I felt with stable blood sugar, I never looked back.
For the first time in a long time, I felt normal. My energy was more stable, my severe sugar cravings literally disappeared, my ravenous hunger subsided and I was able to see progress from my workouts.
Research shows that stable blood sugar is achieved when you combine carbohydrates with protein each time you eat, and that you need approximately 40% (or more) of your daily calories coming from carbohydrates.
Here is where I have put my own spin on things…
If you are active – and specifically if you strength train more than two times each week, your body needs more carbohydrates than the average person. Additionally, we know through genetic testing that the majority of women need more than 40% carbs to truly function optimally.
In addition to the research on blood sugar, I have also conducted informal research of my own and learned that based on genetic testing the vast majority of women need 45-55% of carbohydrates for optimal energy demands, and yes, weight loss.
Once I put all of these pieces (and years of learning) into a system, I started seeing incredible results with my clients, and myself.
And this is exactly how I’ve arrived at being a huge fan of macronutrient balancing.
This way of eating changed my life in radical ways. I am passionate about teaching this approach because I know it has the power to improve your life too.
I hope you’ll click now and check out the video below. In it I share 5 specific reasons why I am such a fan of this approach to eating.
Why Macronutrient Balancing is So Powerful
I honestly think I could on and on and on as to why this approach to eating is so powerful, but here are the top 5 things you can expect from learning to eat in a way that balances your macronutrient intake....
- You'll burn fat better. By finding your sweet spot for carbohydrates, protein, and fat you can teach your body to burn fat as it's primary fuel. This means you'll feel and perform better due to stabilized blood sugar levels. The first step in stabilizing blood sugar (and burning fat during workouts) is by combining protein and carbohydrates every time you eat.
- You'll feel better. Your body really does need all three macronutrients in order to function best. Your muscles and tissues need protein, your brain and other vital organs need carbohydrates, and your hormones are created by fat. By eating a strategic amount of each, you give your body what it needs - based on our goddess Mother Nature herself.
- You'll experience less hunger and fewer food cravings. This happens for two reasons: 1) Your body needs a certain amount of carbs in order to function optimally. If you're not giving your body enough carbs each day (based on your body's needs) you will end up with hunger. 2) Unstable blood sugar is the second major cause of food cravings and hunger. If your blood sugar drops out, your body will scream for fuel. Eating this way is a powerful way to stabilize blood sugar.
- You'll lose weight more comfortably (if that's your goal) and even lose weight by accident. If I had a dollar for every love letter I've received from women in my community who report this. I've gotten numerous emails from women who weren't even trying to lose weight, but were to happily surprised when they did after just a few weeks of eating this way. When you provide your body with supportive macronutrients (especially the right amount and kind of carbs) your body begins to function optimally. While I do feel that weight loss usually comes with hunger, you are able to reduce the intensity of it, and be able to breeze through weight loss.
- You'll (most likely) improve all body functions. This is because your body legitimately needs carbohydrates, protein, and fat for different reasons. Any time you are deficient in any one of the three macronutrients, your body will experience fallout. Even the proponents of keto and low carb life agree on this. In fact, the goal of those approaches is to trick your body into alternate ways of doing things. Why trick your body when you can simply give it what it's designed for?
After 30 years in the health and fitness industry, I'm certain that eating a diet balanced in macronutrients is hands-down the most productive way to eat, for all goals.
If you're interested in becoming masterful at the art of balancing macros, stay tuned, because later this year I'll be releasing the long-awaited digital course The Nutrition Project. I haven't been this excited about something in a very long time. It's going to be incredible.
Be the first to receive updates by clicking below...
[av_hr class='invisible' icon_select='yes' icon='ue808' font='entypo-fontello' position='center' shadow='no-shadow' height='50' custom_border='av-border-thin' custom_width='50px' custom_margin_top='30px' custom_margin_bottom='30px' custom_border_color='' custom_icon_color='' id='' custom_class='' av_uid='av-g8lkg' admin_preview_bg='']
And don't forget to click below and check out this video. In it I share 5 specific reasons why I am such a fan of this approach to eating.
[av_hr class='invisible' icon_select='yes' icon='ue808' font='entypo-fontello' position='center' shadow='no-shadow' height='50' custom_border='av-border-thin' custom_width='50px' custom_margin_top='30px' custom_margin_bottom='30px' custom_border_color='' custom_icon_color='' id='' custom_class='' av_uid='av-35sor4' admin_preview_bg='']
Become Better Than Ever
Each week I give you free info and tips so that your life reflects the strong, resilient, energized body you’ve cultivated. Now, I’m not going to lie…creating your best body ever takes effort and desire. But with 30 years of hands-on experience under my belt, I’m certain I can show you the fastest and most joyful path to feeling empowered in your body so you can wake up each day and say, “Yay!”
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.