The Science of Graceful AgingMar 03, 2020
The Science Behind Why it Gets Harder as You Age.
Let’s face it…no one wants to get older.
I even hate mentioning it because it’s such a downer.
But here’s the deal…
If you want to age gracefully, prevent brittle bones, and remain strong so you can run around with your kids (and their kids), listen up.
Sarcopenia is the natural loss of muscle that occurs simply from the aging process (and is mother nature’s not-so-funny joke she plays on us all).
Simply by getting older, you are going to lose muscle.
Loss of muscle means…
- Slowed metabolism
- Hormone imbalances
- Increased risk of injury
- Brittle bones
- Increased body fat
It’s not pretty.
But… there’s a lot you can do about it.
How to Reduce Muscle Loss That Comes With Aging
- Include at least two strength workouts every week. This study reports that even just two workouts each week will help reduce your risk of brittle bones.
- Strive to increase weight loads during workouts every 2-3 weeks. It helps if you have a progressive resistance program to follow (rather than doing the same stuff week after week).
- Aim to increase your Non Exercise Activity Time (NEAT) each week to 100 minutes. This includes any movement like grocery shopping, cleaning, climbing stairs, walking the mall.
- Practice stress management techniques. Chronic stress causes an elevation in the catabolic hormone cortisol. “Catabolism” is the metabolic process of breaking down molecules and tissues. Stress management techniques help reduce cortisol.
- Balance blood sugar by eating a combination of lean protein, healthy fat and high fiber carbohydrates every 3-4 hours. By stabilizing your blood sugar, you avoid catabolism, and provide a constant flow of nutrients to muscles and organs.
I believe that if you are over 35 and have not been strength training consistently, it’s time you start…now.
And if you are over 40 and strength train less than twice per week…
You need to get on it NOW! You’ve got some catching up to do.
And for all women, everywhere, I believe…
Strength training is the most important part of your overall health and wellness strategy.
Consistent strength training has extensive and powerful benefits that can’t be duplicated any other way.
Maintaining your lean muscle as you age is literally the elixir of life.
Want more guidance?
Be sure to watch my new masterclass HERE.
Download my free 6 Week Interim Workout Program HERE.
Become Better Than Ever
Each week you'll get free info and tips to create the body you need to keep up with the life you love. Creating your best body ever is one part effort and one part desire. With 30 years of hands-on experience I can show you the fastest and easiest way to become empowered so tomorrow you'll wake up feeling unstoppable.
Your information is safe and I'd never share it.