How to Make Bone Broth at HomeDec 28, 2021
If you haven't already jumped on the bone broth bandwagon, this recipe will inspire you to do so.
Bone broth is one of the best additions to your diet as it's an incredible source of minerals and gut-healing collagen.
I started incorporating bone broth several years ago when I was navigating some debilitating health issues. At the time, it seemed as if my body was giving up on me and I was really struggling just to get through the day.
Finally a talented doctor in California got me on the road to re-building my health, once she figured out the root of my failing health. Unbeknownst to me I was being exposed to toxic mold in my apartment in Los Angeles and it triggered dormant Lyme disease (which I didn't know that I had) and a pretty severe autoimmune disorder.
My doctor got me started on a pretty intense protocol to heal my body that included (amongst many other things) weekly infrared sauna sessions and bone broth.
Yep, bone broth.
Upon doctor's orders, I set out to create the world's best recipe for homemade bone broth. And since I'm such an achiever, I did just that.
While you can certainly find many store-bought versions of bone broth, you'll get much more nutrition and collagen by making your own. Most store bought brands have been pasteurized, or mass produced, leaving behind a great deal of the magical healing properties.
And wouldn't agree that anything made with love at home is simply better? Always.
This homemade bone broth recipe is rich and delicious, super satisfying, and a great way to nourish your body (and promote gut health).
World's Best Bone Broth Recipe
Preparation: 60 minutes total active prep and 12-24 hours of cook time.
Renders approximately 6 - 16 oz glass jars (12 servings in total)
3-4 pounds of beef bones, preferably knuckle or thick marrow bones
2 large carrots, chopped into 3-4 large chunks
1 celery stalk, chopped into 3-4 large chunks
2 bulbs of garlic, chopped crosswise
1-2 large leeks, chopped in large chunks
1 large onion, quartered
2-3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar (to taste, I like more)
1-2 tablespoons of high quality sea salt (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400
- Place raw bones, carrots, onion, leek, and garlic on to large roasting pan
- Roast for 20 minutes
- Turn and toss the ingredients
- Roast for another 20 minutes, watching for browning, without burning
- While the above is baking, fill a large stock pot with 10-12 cups of water
- Bring to a gentle boil
- Add salt, vinegar, and celery
- Add the ingredients of the roasted pan to the boiling water
- Cover the pot and bring to a full boil
- Reduce heat to low
- Keep the pot covered and simmer for 12-24 hours. The longer you cook, the better it gets.
- Note: Check and stir every few hours, and add additional water to keep the stock pot nearly full
- After 12-24 hours of simmering, remove from heat and let broth cool to a temperature that you can work with
- Discard bones and vegetables
- Strain broth into a large mixing bowl
- Cover and refrigerate over night (Alternatively, you could strain broth into glass storage jars here. I find it easier to do the next step from one bowl)
- The next day most of the fat will rise to the top. Skim off the fat and discard
- Divide the remaining broth into glass storage jars, leaving space at the top for expansion if you plan to freeze.
Broth stays fresh for about a week in the refrigerator. Consider placing some of the jars in the freezer for future use.
Simply reheat on the stove when you're ready for a delicious dose of health-promoting goodness! Add additional salt to each cup, if desired.
While you could drink as much as you want, a good suggestion is to enjoy one cup per day.
Become Better Than Ever
Each week I give you free info and tips so that your life reflects the strong, resilient, energized body you’ve cultivated. Now, I’m not going to lie…creating your best body ever takes effort and desire. But with 30 years of hands-on experience under my belt, I’m certain I can show you the fastest and most joyful path to feeling empowered in your body so you can wake up each day and say, “Yay!”
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.