5 Essential Nutrition Tips for Better Fat BurningDec 11, 2021
These 5 essential nutrition tips will help you become a better butter burner.
First of all, what does it mean to “become a better butter burner”!?
Your body prefers to burn fat as its primary fuel. Have you ever experienced a time when you felt really good? A moment during your day, or during a workout, when your energy was so good and you felt like you could keep going forever?
Or, have you ever had a day when you felt calm, collected, grounded, and as if you didn’t need food? No hunger, no cravings, and you just felt stable?
It’s entirely possible that your body was in a fat burning state during that moment. When your body is burning fat as its fuel, you’ll notice incredible stamina, a general sense of well-being, and the feeling of balance.
Being in a fat burning state feels incredible and promotes better performance.
This is what I’m referring to when I talk about “being a better butter burner.” I’m talking about your body’s ability to burn fat better. And it’s something you can teach your body to do.
Some benefits when your body is using fatty acids as its fuel source:
- Preserved muscle glycogen (stored energy)
- Preserved liver glycogen (stored energy)
- You’ll feel amazing
- You’ll experience better stamina
- You’ll reduce the likelihood of extreme hunger post workout
3 Lifestyle Habits That Kick You Out of Fat Burning
Your habits very much determine how long (or how often) your body stays in a fat burning state. Some people think that a “fat burning state” is all about weight loss, but there’s so much more to it than that.
Some things that shift your body out of fatty acid metabolism and into carbohydrate metabolism:
- High intensity activity
- Out of whack macronutrients
- Skipping meals
Behind the scenes of every program I create, I intentionally use programming variables that will - hopefully - help keep your body in a fat burning state, unbeknownst to you. I’m always looking out for ways that I can help you take actions that will promote fatty acid metabolism so you get the benefits and the fat loss.
5 Essential Nutrition Tips for Better Fat Burning
These 5 considerations are simple things you can do everyday to stay in a fat burning state, and out of carbohydrate metabolism (think hunger, cravings, and poor stamina).
- Eat to ensure stable blood sugar. While there are many reasons to aim for stable glucose levels, a big one is that it keeps you burning fat. This means you’ve got to put some thought and intention into your eating habits to prevent your blood sugar from dropping too low.
- Combine protein and carbohydrates every time you eat. I offer more details on this inside of my free Macros 101 Guidebook.This is the most powerful way to ensure that your glucose levels stay stable because protein buffers carbs so that you avoid a blood sugar spike (which often causes a reactive blood sugar drop).
- Avoid going too long between meals and snacks. Unless you’re in a dedicated and strategic fast (or sleeping), blood sugar levels can drop around 4 hours after a meal. For this reason, I teach my clients to eat before they’re hungry. Watch the clock and aim for no longer than 3-4 hours between main meals.
- Low glycemic load may be more important than low glycemic index. Low glycemic foods are those that digest more slowly in your body. Low glycemic index accounts for a normal serving size of a food, which may “adjust” the glycemic index. In this video above I’ll explain this concept more.
- Be conscious of fiber intake. Fiber slows down the digestion of pretty much any food, and therefore reduces the insulin spike from carbohydrates. Avoiding blood sugar spikes (and keeping a steady glucose level) is the key to 24/7 fat burning.
While it may sound too good to be true, it’s absolutely possible to teach your body to burn fat 24/7. And it’s a worthy endeavor.
Check out today’s video so you can start using these 5 tips. Before you know it, you’ll be a better butter burner!
Do you love learning about evidence-based concepts? Are you someone who appreciates research that backs up your beliefs? Me too. Here is some evidenced based information that I used for this story.
Stay strong, friend.
By following the guidelines in my Macros 101 Guidebook, you’ll know exactly how to pair foods to stabilize blood sugar (so you can burn fat 24/7), reduce hunger, and crush food cravings.
You can download the free 14 page Macros 101 Guidebook here.
Become Better Than Ever
Each week you'll get free info and tips to create the body you need to keep up with the life you love. Creating your best body ever is one part effort and one part desire. With 30 years of hands-on experience I can show you the fastest and easiest way to become empowered so tomorrow you'll wake up feeling unstoppable.
Your information is safe and I'd never share it.